Don’t believe what you read about not following through after an interview- it is written by lazy people. Writing a follow-through letter after an interview is critical! If written well, the least it will do is have no impact and the best it can do is tip you into the #1 position for the job. The following is a an example of a high impact follow up letter
I hope you enjoyed the Yankees game with your family. Kyle Drabek was the main piece in the Phillies’ trade package for Roy Halladay, so I do not mind seeing him get rocked every once in a while, even if it results in a Yankee’s W.
Thank you for speaking with me on Friday about the Manager Partnership Strategy and Service position. I enjoyed our conversation and am looking forward to the possibility of joining the team during this exciting restructuring. I am a big believer in your vision to transform the Partnerships Group into an internal agency and would love to be a part of the implementation.
I believe that my past experience shows that I encompass the core values you seek in candidates for this position:
– Committed to improve every day: Selected to participate in a 10-week worldgroup training program for high potential junior-level talent
– Exude passion: Identified sports sponsorship as the area of interest for my career and secured positions with key players in the niche field (i.e. Sports1, Allectan)
– Integrity (do things the right way, even if it’s the hard way): Implemented sponsorship asset tracking process for various American Card Business Units
– Outwork everyone: Lured recruits from other university fraternities to recruit largest new member class in my fraternity’s history
– Intensity, effort, productivity: Promoted from Assistant Account Executive to Account Executive after one year at Allectan (this jump typically takes two years)
I will stay in touch with HR regarding the hiring process. In the meantime, please let me know if you have any further questions about my background and experience.
And the interviewer’s response
“Stephen…thanks for the note. Very much enjoyed meeting you too. Also impressed by this follow up note…you either have a great memory or took great notes. Good stuff. Will circle with Kate to see what is happening with the decision-making on this slot. Hope to see you again soon.
A job offer followed shortly!